Greencastle One Step Closer to Ebbert Spring Heritage Park & Archaeological Preserve
At the end of August, Andy Stout, Greencastle native and Eastern Regional Director of The Archaeological Conservancy (TAC), and Bonnie Shockey, President & CEO, on behalf the board of directors of Allison-Antrim Museum, Inc (AAMI), signed a 99-year lease between TAC and AAMI, which transfers the care of the standing structures, within the Ebbert Spring Heritage Park & Archaeological Preserve, to Allison-Antrim Museum. The original house (on the left), with three-feet thick walls, was built in 1750 by William Allison, father of John Allison, founder of Greencastle.
It was the wish of the late Al Bonnell, owner of the property for 50 years, that the grounds, structures, and archaeological artifacts, and its archaeological history be preserved not only for the Greencastle-Antrim Community-at-large but also for Pennsylvania and American History.
Al passed away in April 2016 and since then his son Terrance “Terry” Bonnell has been diligently working to bring his father’s wishes to fruition. On Tuesday, August 29, the ownership of the property was conveyed to The Archaeological Conservatory, which was made possible through a grant from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and Antrim Township. Other partners in the overall project include the Greencastle-Antrim School District, Shippensburg University, and Greencastle Area Franklin County Water Authority.
The archaeological sites have been dubbed a “super site” by the state. The artifacts range from prehistoric to early contact with white men. The archaeological artifacts are housed in Allison-Antrim Museum’s climate-controlled storage area.
Over the next two years, TAC will create trails with archaeological, historical, geological, ecological, and environmental history kiosks throughout the property. The trails will be completed by Old Home Week 2019.
The Allison-Ebbert House will be on the 2017 Greencastle-Antrim Chamber of Commerce’s annual Christmas house tour.