Towering over the quaint town of Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, The Irvine Chapel at the Mercersburg Academy was erected between 1924-1926. Designed by Ralph Adam Cram, The Chapel is filled with oak carvings and contains 36 unique stained-glass windows designed and executed by 8 different stained-glass makers from England, Ireland and the United States. It was dedicated in 1926 to the memory of the Mercersburg Alumni killed in World War I and to the mothers that had sent their children to the Mercersburg Academy. The Chapel was rededicated in 1993 as the Irvine Memorial Chapel.
One of 163 traditional carillons in the United States, The Swoope Carillon in Barker Tower contains 50 bells. The original 43 bronze bells were cast in 1926, a gift of Henry B. Swoope (1900). The bells contain bits of historic metal collected worldwide by alumni and friends of the school, including copper coins, metal from the ship “Old Ironsides,” pieces of artillery shells gathered from the fields of France in World War I, a shaving from the Liberty Bell, and bits from Admiral Nelson’s flagship at Trafalgar, “HMS Victory. “The addition of 6 new upper bells added in 1996, brought the total to 49 bells ranging in size from 10 pounds to more than three-and-a-half tons, which ranks it 43rd in weight of the largest (lowest pitched) bell. The carillon’s tower was named in honor of Bryan Baker, who played it for more than five decades, in 1978. In 2003, the 50th bell was added and dedicated to James W. Smith.
Story contributed by Leisa McCracken
Fun For Kid & Adult Colorers: Mercersburg Academy Chapel Coloring Sheet
Nestled along Route 16 in the Tuscarora mountain range is large stone monument marking the birthplace of our 15th president, James Buchanan, born on the site in 1792. The monument is the centerpiece of the Buchanan Birthplace State Park and marks the location, known as Stony Batter, where the Buchanan family homestead once stood.
The monument, shaped like a pyramid, was built of native stone from the architectural design of Baltimore firm Wyatt and Nolting. It is 38 -ft. square and 31-ft. high. It contains 50 tons of hammered American gray granite and 600 tons of native rubble and mortar make up the pyramid. Construction of the pyramid began in October 1907 and concluded in mid-November 1907. The Pennsylvania General Assembly of 1911 accepted the monument from the trust of Harriet Lane Johnston and Buchanan’s Birthplace State Park was formally established.
It is one-of-a kind!
Old postcard view shows the James Buchanan Memorial at the James Buchanan Birthplacde State Park.
Buchanan Memorial Coloring Page
Franklin County appreciates BEES! Bees pollinate enough vegetable plants to make Franklin County a top PA producer of vegetables and are integral to the county’s fruit production, too.
A good way to attract bees is by planting herbs and flowers. Some good herbs to plant include chives, mint, lavender, thyme, and oregano. Crocus, bee balm, and zinnias are good flowers. Try making your own newspaper pots. Find instructions here on how on ExploreFranklinCountyPA’s Fun in Franklin County page.
Kingsland Apiary – Bee Enablers shared these coloring pages:
Bees at Work
Bee Keeper at Work
The image above is a photo of a mid-1900 postcard. Read more about the Chapel. For young and young at heart, enjoy the coloring sheet.
Emmanuel Chapel on the campus of Penn State Mont Alto reaches back more than 165 years to a time when the campus was part of the Mont Alto Ironworks, which operated from 1807 to 1893.
The corner stone of Emmanuel Chapel was laid June 23, 1854 and the chapel was dedicated on November 3, 1854. It was at this time that the Mont Alto Ironworks was a prime producer of iron ore and the largest employer on the South Mountain.
From spring through fall of 1859, John Brown traveled throughout Franklin County. He presented himself as an owner of a mining operation and used the alias of Isaac Smith. During Brown’s time in Franklin County, he attended services at Emmanuel Chapel, and it is believed to have been the last place he worshipped before leading the Raid on Harpers Ferry.
Rev. William Parker Neal wrote a publication about the Chapel and its historical connections. Penn State purchased Emmanuel Chapel from the Episcopal Diocese of South-Central PA in 1992 for $1. The chapel was rehabilitated at a cost of $325,000, retaining the structure as an artifact of American history.
Emmanuel Chapel Coloring Page
The COVID-19 Working Capital Access (CWCA) Program is administered by the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA) and provides critical working capital financing to small businesses located within the Commonwealth that are adversely impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak.
All CWCA loan applications must be submitted through a Certified Economic Development Organization (CEDO). For the list of CEDO’s operating within Pennsylvania, please refer to www.dced.pa.gov/CWCA.
The guidlelines can be downloaded below.
COVID-19 Working Capital Access Guidelines