COVID -19 has changed time outdoors. Whether walking, hiking or mountain biking to enjoy nature, everyone is aware of their proximity to others and even if a favorite spot is open and available for use. As counties of PA reopen, it is important to keep social distancing on trails, consider less popular sites to visit, and to bring your trash home to dispose.
As always when stepping into nature, respect your environment, the wildlife and other outdoor visitors. With less volunteers and paid staff stewarding landscapes, it is even more important to “leave no trace.”
The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics offers seven principles:
- Plan ahead and prepare to leave no trace and minimize impact to your environment.
- Hike and camp on durable surfaces; stay on the trail.
- Dispose of waste properly; pack it in and pack it out.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts.
- Respect wildlife; give them a wide berth.
- Be considerate of other visitors; avoid loudness; control pets.