Renfrew Institute in Waynesboro Seeks Educators
Renfrew Institute is hiring two educators for environmental and history school programs.
Overview : Renfrew Institute is a non-profit organization serving the region with outdoor programming in environmental education, interpretation of a historic Pennsylvania German farmstead and a wide variety of family events. Activities are conducted on the site of Renfrew Museum and Park. Renfrew Institute operates independently from Renfrew Museum and Park.
The mission of the Renfrew Institute for Cultural and Environmental Studies is to guide the people of the Cumberland Valley region to become stewards of their natural and cultural worlds. To achieve its mission, the Institute:
- provides environmental and cultural education to elementary and secondary school children
- supports and conducts research about natural and cultural history,
- provides opportunities for adults to learn about the nature and culture of the region and the world
- presents programs that inform and entertain the community.
Position Summary: The Environmental & Historical Studies Educator is a dynamic and energetic individual, with proven experience leading programs for school children. The educator will be responsible for the delivery of environmental and cultural history programs, pre-K through middle school. Position is part-time, seasonal. Educators are expected to teach up to 5 days/week (as needed) during the fall and spring teaching seasons (mid-August through mid-November and mid-March through early June), and to attend training sessions and regular staff meetings (sometimes in the off season). Share Renfrew’s rich heritage, stories and landscape to inspire and engage stewards of the natural and cultural world. II.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, recreation & parks, interpretation, history, science, or related field
- Teaching certification preferred but not required
- Experience in environmental/outdoor education and/or historical interpretation
- Ability to teach multiple grade levels, pre-K thru middle school
- Early childhood experience a plus
- Ability to develop educational curriculum
- Ability to teach within nontraditional setting
- Willingness to work in varying weather conditions
- Physical demands: Teaching outdoors requires a reasonable level of physical fitness allowing the instructor to pull garden carts with props and supplies, walk distances through the course of a 7-hour day and move easily over rough trails.
- Background checks required
- Certification in CPR, AED, First Aid or willingness to be trained
To Apply: Email the following to: email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Three references
Please note: Absolutely no phone calls or walk-in inquiries. For more details about the position and Renfrew Institute, visit renfrewinstitute.org.