Hiking – one of the most liberating and exhilarating recreational activities in which someone can take part. It adds a source of stress relief and the ability to isolate yourself in pure serenity. It can also help with building a sense of self-discipline as well as organization!
Did you know that this county contains a plethora of different parks and trails? Franklin County is a perfect place to be one with nature and explore. From Caledonia and Michaux State, to Cowans Gap State Park, to Mont Alto State Park, there are more than enough choices for a fantastic hiking experience.
When hiking, it is always important to be safe and build a checklist of essentials. Following are considerations for a short or longer hike.
- Navigation Tools (Trail Maps/Compass)
- First Aid Kit
- Hydration Source (32 oz Water/Electrolyte Fluid)
- Trail Food (Nutritional bars, jerky, nuts/grains, something carbohydrate dense/super foods)
- Hiking Shoes/Boots or durable sneakers
- Sun Protection
- Utility pack for carrying essentials
- All Items listed above
- Fire Starting Source (Emergency Use)
- Signaling Device
- Light Source (Headlamp, Flashlight)
- Repair Kit (Duct Tape, Paracord, Plastic bags, Etc.)
- Increased hydration carrying capacity (64+ oz)
- Increased trail food content
Here’s hoping everyone can soon be back to taking a hike in Franklin County. Now is a good time to be thinking about the gear you need and looking forward to traveling the trails of Franklin County.
Story contributed by Evan Crider